Sunday, May 8, 2011

Various - Jukebox at Eric's Vol 1: Rock 'N' Roll [1981]

Back in the early 80s I was playing 5-a-side football. What else is a footy obsessed kid going to do?
As it happens I was decent as well, I was captain, but I didn’t have “it” - not enough to make the grade, but that’s another story for another time.
The coach of the team was a rather cool chap called Alan Brown. A loyal Evertonian, massive Cramps fan and a frequenter of a club called Eric’s in Liverpool. He used to tell me & my best friend Dominic (best position: Left back) various tales of weird and wonderful sounds and goings on there; Jayne/Wayne County, The Doctors of Madness, The Cramps, Iggy etc…
On Alan’s lapel resided a huge silver badge for his favourite band - Dr Feelgood. I last ran into him in the early 90s, and my dad ran into him a few times too. I hope he’s doing well wherever he is.

Anyway, here’s a compilation dating from 1981 of stuff based on the contents of Eric’s Jukebox. It’s a cracking compilation even if you’ve never heard of the place. You really need this!

Get it HERE, as they say.

Tracklist:
A1. Duke Mitchell – The Lion
A2. The Rays – Elevator Operator
A3. Shelby R. Smith – Jim Dandy Handyman
A4. The Playboys – Jungle Fever
A5. Billy Prager – Do It Bop
A6. Big Al Downing – Georgia Slop
A7. The Frogmen – Underwater
A8. Tommy Blake – F-Olding Money
B1. Jackie Lowell – Rocket Trip
B2. Sonny Russell – 50 Megatons
B3. The Catalinas – The Catalina Push
B4. Bobby Day – Three Young Rebs From Georgia
B5. Lamar Morris – The Fugitive
B6. The Wailers – Shanghaied
B7. Bobby Lee Trammell – New Dance In France
B8. Ray Sharpe – Monkey's Uncle

3 comments:

  1. Clue for the link is click "continue" first... then it should become obvious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to frequent Erics a lot in the late 1970's when i lived in the North West, I remember seeing Magazine there, I think it was their first ever gig. and a lot more besides. I got very very drunk in there one night, passed out in the toilets, got woken up and thrown out by the cleaners at 5am, had missed my lift home (to Ormskirk) and had to walk it, it was a good 10-15 miles. I didn't care, it had been worth it. Later, around 80-81 when I was located in London, I went back there a few times with my band Killing Joke, I think it was the first club out of London to book us, I remember we did a couple of shows there with Bauhaus which were the stuff of legend. Jayne Casey, Pete wylie, Pete Burns, all of those people used to come and hang out, which was very very cool for us i feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, any chance of making this available again?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete