Friday, July 15, 2011

Various - A Tribute to Spacemen 3 [1998]

For some reason I missed this album when it first appeared. When I did come to it though, I was pleased to see names I knew (Low, Mogwai, Bowery Electric, Arab Strap) next to names I didn't. And I do love a good cover version, and sometimes I love a bad one too ...

A lot of the other bands on here are influenced by, or coming from the same place as Spacemen 3 were, so it's great to hear them developing the songs on different tangents. But nothing veers too far from spirit of the originals, except maybe Flowchart's version - and I was never very convinced about that! It's not radical, but it is a great listen for fans of Spacemen 3 or any of the bands on it.


1. Things'll Never Be The Same - Bowery Electric
2. Losing Touch With My Mind - The Asteroid #4
3. Honey - Mogwai
4. Ode To Street Hassle - Flowchart
5. I Believe It - Accelera Deck
6. Revolution - Arab Strap
7. Call the Doctor - Bardo Pond
8. Hey Man - Frontier
9. Lord, Can You Hear Me? - Low
10. So Hot (Wash Away All Of My Tears) - AMP
11. How Does It Feel? - Piano Magic
12. Billy Whizz - Transient Waves

Lord, Can you hear me?

No comments:

Post a Comment